Saturday, February 19, 2011

Haiti

September of 2010 found me in Cap Haitien, Haiti.  It's not unusual to find me in a foreign country on a mission trip but what is unusual is to find me on a non-medical.  While I try make it a habit of serving on a construction mission in the US every summer, I usually try to join a medical mission for my serving abroad.  Unless, it's a visit to orphanages - but then that's a story for another blog - or may be this blog. But never-the-less, I try to serve on at least one medical every year and granted I had already been on a medical to Senegal West Africa in January of last year. But, when the earthquake in Haiti occurred, I heard God whispering Haiti in my ear and the word now. Since, as we all know, health professionals are in such demand in these countries, I try to use the blessings God has given me in ways others may not be able.  And that way is to use my nursing skills on a medical mission. 
So, when I received an email message asking if I wanted to serve on a  medical trip to Haiti traveling in October, I signed right up.  But, in June I was notified that the ministry had changed its departure date to February of 2011 - a date when I could not participate.  I thought that I had heard God's call earlier in the year to go to Haiti so I was a bit confused when the trip plans fell through.  But, always trying to remember that it is His plan and that He will work it out for His good, I sat back and waited to see what would transpire. 
I was well aware that the church I attend had organized a trip to Haiti leaving in September, but since I had signed up for the medical I had not applied.  By the time I was notified of the date change for the medical trip, it was too late to join that trip since it was already at capacity.  So, I continued to wait to see what God had in store for me.
 June and July came and went as did the first week of August.  I knew that if another opportunity didn't present itself soon, I would not be able to go since I would need at least 3 months worth of fundraising to cover the cost of the trip.  On the second Sunday in August, I was attending a planning meeting for the annual OrphanCare conference our church holds every year.  The leader of that team was serving on the church's trip to Haiti since the focus of the trip was to be a fact-finding mission to see how our church could best assist orphans in the country.  I was wishing her a safe and productive trip since they would be leaving in less than 4 weeks.  Suddenly, she asked me if I wanted to go.  I was taken-aback since I knew the trip was full and the time of departure was so close.  She told me that two members had withdrawn due to illness so there was now room.  Also, due to some changes in church administration, the airline tickets had not yet been purchased.  I really couldn't believe that this was my opportunity yet I followed her to the team training meeting that was scheduled for that day.  I spoke to the leader of the trip and he said he'd be happy to have me.  In shock I agreed to go but driving home I began to worry about how I would pay for the trip.  I needed $2500 in less than 4 weeks.  Trusting God, I stepped out in faith, sent out donation letters and email messages.  In two weeks I had collected nearly $3000 and that's how I found myself in Haiti. 
Now you may ask what does this have to do with nursing - everything and nothing.  The everything I will detail shortly - the nothing is the medical supplies that I took with me.  Oh what I wouldn't have given for a bottle of peroxide and some bandages!  The everything is this,  I learned no matter where I go, the desire to care for the injured never leaves me. 
I had originally been kind of glad that I wasn't going on a medical.  Those of you who have served on a medical trip know how much work it is.  Locating, paying for and transporting everything you could possibly need.  This time aside for items we were taking down for the orphans, I was free, unencumbered - yet little did I know - soon to be very burdened.
Haiti is like no other place I've been... so sunny and bright yet the people live in darkness and despair.  You don't see people on the street laughing, talking or smiling with one another.  The orphanage we served at was a compound but unlike Honduras it was not gated.  During school hours the gate to the porch surrounding the school was closed so street kids could not enter the school, but they did get as close to the building as they possible could. Hanging from barred windows, hanging on the fence surrounding the porch, trying to see and hear and maybe learn?  And that where is it happened, my first nursing encounter. 
Now imagine, there where 12 of us on this trip and at least 6 of us are on the porch, teaching and testing the children in the orphanage.  I was the only medical professional. Was a red cross tatooed on my forehead or do I look like a nurse? Smell like a nurse?  What made this one street child come up to me and thrust his arm through the wrought iron?  I'll never know what made him pick me but I know why he put his arm through the fence - he needed a nurse.  He needed someone to care for him and about him.  He was about 6 or 7 years old and malnourished, as most Haiti children are.  He shoved his stick-like arm through the gate to show me the worst infected wound I had ever seen.  Working previously in reconstructive surgery and for 17 years in the ED, I've seen some pus a time or two.  But this! Green pus was oozing, practically dripping, from a 4 inch long gash and from several possible puncture wounds.  It wasn't cellulitic but it was infected. And I couldn't do a thing except talk to him through a child that could speak English... yes it hurt he said.  I couldn't make the English speaking child understand how to ask him what had caused the injury but I asked him to tell the injured child to got to the water facet and rinse it off - in cold water.  No soap, no antiseptic, no topical antibiotic, no dressing, no pain medication, no way to provide care.  And forget tetanus immunizations. Only soothing, sympathetic words that he probably didn't understand and the touch of my hand on his arm.  Saying a brief prayer for healing over him was all I could do before he scampered away.  I never saw him again. I was so dissapointed in myself that I didn't think of bringing even just the basics with me.  Never again.  To read a blog about the trip visit:   http://nwcc2haiti.wordpress.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment